Wednesday 29 December 2010

Kanji Dico + Katakana game on ipod touch

Up till now I've been using KOTOBA, a free app, which is great but, being in Japan, I discovered that I really needed a dictionary where I can draw a kanji and it tells me the meaning. So yes, you can buy an electronic dictionnary but they're expensive and all the explanations are in japanese (yes kanjis), so good luck with that.
Here comes Japanese. All you have to do is pay £5.99 via itune, download the app, add traditional Chinese keyboard in the preferences of your ipod and here you go: write the kanji on your ipod and it tells you what it means (it's very forgiving).
Suddenly my perspectives are opening up....Signs of shop windows, words on flyers, brochures....Ahhhhhh.....
In fact, Hiragana and Katakana are taught first to schoolchildren (and japanese learner) and then progressively they learn kanjis. So up till now I needed the furigana (hiragana/katakana alphabets) next to the kanji to be able to start to understand what was going on.

That means that most kids' mangas have furigana, which means that at least I can pronounce the words (it doesn't mean I get everything they're saying though). But obviously the stories are limited to high-school love, music bands and co. Which is fine but sometimes you want something a little bit more....how can I say....grown up??
Yesterday, I was in this 2nd hand shop called BookOff (far too close to where I live)...Everywhere people reading mangas: adults, schoolchildren, teenagers... I was fascinated to see this little girl reading quickly through a manga. She was half my size and could read something it would take me days to decipher!
Out of sheer frustration, I bought a manga recommended by my friend JM, called SOIL, which has a bit of an atmosphere straight out of a David Lynch's movie. It's for grown-up, so of course no furigana, only kanjis. Now, armed with my new app and with bit of patience and time (got plenty of the latest) I can actually start to begin to understand what they're talking about. AWESOME.
(Actually I also found a website where the manga is translated in English! So I think I'll try to combine the 2 tools (dico+English version) to learn. Hurray!!!)

I found another fun app, this time to learn katakana. Katakana alphabet is used for transcription of words from foreign language (except Chinese). For example, "television" is written terebi (テレビ) and I'm really bad at it. The app is called KANA and costs £1.79. It's fun and repetitive so I'm hoping the dammed katakana will get in.

I also got lots of other apps but haven't played with them much so will update later...

No comments:

Post a Comment