Saturday 29 January 2011

En vrac (un peu n'importe quoi) et merci

* Seen: big fake eyelashes very popular with young girls going out. I've even seen a photo-booth, which adds fake eyelashes on the photo. Awesome!

* Heard: seems like girls use permanent hair removal, which is much cheaper than in Europe. So there isn't really any shops offering waxing and, when they are, it's super expensive. For those who still can't afford permanent hair removal, the good old razor is used and sometimes silkepil but here they cost a fortune (over £100 for the first price).

* Seen: several couples wearing matching clothes, from same parka to same jumper. Watching a drama it also seems that when teenagers become a couple, they match mobile straps (stuff that hangs from the phone). Of course it's not general but it's funny some do.

* Experienced: You can't adjust the sound level of your camera on Japanese mobile. So when you take a photo with your mobile you've got a rather loud sound coming off your phone. An explanation given by a friend of mine is that it is to avoid perverts taking photos of school girls' knickers...

* Experienced/Heard: No central heating (no radiator) in flats. The heat is only provided by air con and stand-in heater (oil, petrol, electric). Houses are not well insulated either so basically it's cold. From what I've heard people usually gather around stand-in heater in one room to be warm. I also heard of people sleeping in the futon cabinet or even setting up a tent in the lounge to be warm. Brrrr....It also explains why everyone gathers in malls at the weekend: it's warm there. But it seems that in Hokkaido, north of Japan, it's better insulated. I guess they have no choice considering the temperatures over there.

* Medical: No GP here, you go to the hospital. And apparently ear drops don't exist in Japan. I had to buy ibuprofene and, usually I take 1g for a headache but, here, with 200mg it was gone in 30mn. I talked to a friend about it and she said it was a super strong brand?! A friend of hers used to chew ibuprofene like sweets in Europe but, when he came to Japan, he had to reduce the dose because taking the same amount he was falling asleep. I don't understand because the dose of the same molecule is lower so it should work less well...Maybe it's what's added?!?

* Seen: This is a picture from google earth of the building I live in. I love the landing for aliens.

* And to finish, been feeling run down in past few days (got a cold, feeling tired and very sorry for myself). I was very touched by the kindness of people around me. One friend texted me advice this morning and offered me to help out if I needed anything. Another one left some biscuits for me...That gives me the energy to shake myself out of this cold. Really feel like I now have good friends here. So thank you guys!!

No comments:

Post a Comment