Sunday 9 January 2011

Bike, parking and bit of art

Today went with some friends to the Asian Art Museum in Fukuoka. There is an annual art competition in China, where around 500 new work (painting/sculpture) are chosen among 5000 pieces sent out by contemporary Chinese artists. The exhibition then tour the world. This year, the Asian Art Museum in Fukuoka had around 80 works in display, and I fell in love with at least 10 pieces (wish I could show you but couldn't take photos and not sure the name of the artist would ring any bells...).
It took us nearly 2hrs to get around the exhibition, which is quite long compare to my previous experience of a Japanese exhibition (usually in an hour it's done, which I personally find optimal).

But what I really wanted to talk about today was my experience of bike parking in Fukuoka.
First of all, here is my beautiful bike, kindly lent to me by the lovely people who manage the building I'm staying in. It's old, purple, rusty but I love it.


Usually I park it where my friend tells me to do it (outside on the pavement, in front of shops) but today, for the first time we had to use bike parkings and oh my god it's fun. OK so didn't take any photos at the open air one but the underground one is pretty interesting.
First, you go down using stairs specially set up so on the side you have a flat ramp where you slide your bike down. Then the ticket machine...put the front wheel of your bike in the gutter as shown, then press either scooter or bike on the machine and you get a receipt...See below (by the way this girl had nothing to do with us, took a sneaky shot):



On the way out, put the ticket in one machine, pay (or not, this parking was free for 3hrs), get the ticket back, go to the gate and insert the ticket in second machine.
Then you have to take the stairs up but, this time, on the side you have a special escalator for the bike. Awesome!

So yes, it's like a car parking but specifically for 2 wheels and I think it would be great to have the same in London. Wouldn't it be nice not to have to worry everytime you lock your bike in the center of London?

I love Japan!

No comments:

Post a Comment